Como funciona o “TTC” transporte público em Toronto

TTC logo TTC Bus ramp TTC Streetcar TTC Map


TTC stands for Toronto Transit Commission, and it’s composed by the bus system (bus), subway (metro) and street car (electric streetcar).

This means we can move from one mode of transportation to another using the same type of pass – but you need to understand some rules!


Types of fares

Ticket – as has already been incorporated into Portuguese, is a square piece of paper – used only for students and seniors (elderly).

Token (purchased at subway stations) – has the shape of a coin, the size of a $0.10 cents, with golden edge. Can be used both on the subway as the bus and the tram also.

Pass (Passe) – there is a variety, the most common are the weekly and monthly.

Transfer – a rectangle piece of paper – can be picked up at the subway station or delivered by the driver of the bus or streetcar.


Paying fares – Paying your ticket / fare

First Mistake – You take the bus, ask how much it costs ($ 3), and give the driver a $5 or $10 and wait for the change. The driver looks at you with closed face and says “I do not have change”-“I have no change” or “I do not carry change with me”.

In buses and Streetcars, the collector (cobrador) is the driver and only accepts the exact amount of money, ticket, token, pass or transfer.

Tip (dica) : change your money before you get on the bus.

At the collector booth (cabine), tickets, tokens e weekly passes (sim, passes semanais) can be purchased/ bought with cash.

Tokens can only be purchased in quantities of multiples of 5 – worth the cost goes from $3 to $2.5 per pass.

Tickets for seniors (seniors 65 and older) and students also can only be purchased in multiples of 5. The price reduces from $3 to $2 dollars.

If you decide to pay only one pass, throw $ 3 in the box in front of the booth. If you need to change money, the collector does it for you and return you full amount exchanged so then you put your $3. If you are buying tokens, you should also put a token in the box before passing through the turnstile (roleta/catraca).

Nevertheless, post-secondary students (undergraduate students) only have discounton monthly pass.

When buying the tickets, say “5 tokens, please”, and delivered the money. No need to use larger or more complicated sentences. Be objective, especially in times of rush.


Day pass

A good alternative for families and tourists, is the day-pass (day pass). It costs $10 and allows free use of the TTC (subway, bus and streetcar) during the day.

During the weekdays the single pass is sold individually.

It also can be used on weekends and holidays:

Two adults – dois adultos,

Two adults and four (4) kids (children), or

One adult and five (5) kids (children)


What about a debit / credit card?

They only can be used to purchase the monthly pass.

Subway Stations that accept debit card and credit card (Visa, Mastercard or American Express) are:


Dundas ( East – West). Dundas have two stations, one on each side of Yonge.

Bloor-Yonge (North side – lado norte)


Finch, Kennedy, Kipling e Downsview Stations only accept debit card, only to buy the monthly pass.

For those who follow our the posts, has already to realize that cash (dinheiro vivo) is what rules in town.


Using the transfer

1) If you take the subway, and will transfer to a bus in any station, after going thru the turnstiles (catracas/roletas) look for a transfer machine – a red machine (box) that when you press the button, releases a transfer. The transfer should be presented to the bus driver or streetcar when you take them.

WARNING: You can not catch a bus on the same subway station that picked up the transfer .


2) Another way to get the transfer is after paying the fare direct to the bus driver / operator, when entering a bus or streetcar.


If you don’t need the transfer, just say “Thank you, I don’t need one “acting like that you will avoid to carry a piece of paper (that will go to garbage eventually) helping to keep the city and transport clean.


Important Tips

Needless to wave at the bus stop. If you are standing at the bus stop (ponto de onibus) the bus must stop. What can happen is the opposite: some people doing signal “no” by hand to warn the driver not to stop.

To get off the bus through the back door, after the driver unlock it (a green light on), push (empurre) the yellow bar the door (no need to force) and the door opens shortly after.

To get off the streetcar, just go down to the second step. Step on it (pise no Segundo degrau) the door will open.

For these two cases above, the driver may forget to release the back door if you are distracted. If this happens, you can speak out loud: “Excuse me! Can you open the door, please? “(Excuse me, could you open the door, please?).

In crowded buses, the driver is common to say “Please, move back, “urging passengers to go to the back of the bus and make space for those who are getting in.

Women can get off “between bus stops” after 9pm, for security reasons. For that, go to the driver and say “Excuse me, can you stop on the street (say the name of the street or say the intersection)”or “Can you stop in front of( and give the driver a reference – name a church, restaurant, name of establishment).

In Toronto, the passenger that takes a bus towards North (N) can not use the transfer to take the south bus \(or east and west destinations). You can even risk it, but keep in mind that you may be stopped at the entrance of the bus to pay another fare.

Inside the bus/subway terminals, it is not necessary to show the transfer to the driver, you wont be using any turnstile.

And a last warning: in subway stations, the outside area is usually quite large and has no gates. It is common that people try to enter the station through that wide space instead of going through the turnstile. You will be fined (voce será multado) and the fine is not cheap, it is cheaper to pay the fare.


Visiting Canada

VisitorsRogers Center to CanadaCanada Flag 6

Have proper identification

Make sure you carry prop er identification for yourself and any children travelling with you to assist in confirming your legal right or authorization to enter Canada upon your arrival.

Identification for international visitors

The Government of Canada requires that all travellers carry a valid passport because it is the only reliable and universally-accepted travel and identification document for the purpose of international travel.

International transportation companies such as airlines may require travellers to present a passport. Therefore, travellers may face delays or may not be allowed to board the aircraft or other mode of transportation, if they present other documents.

When you enter Canada, a border services officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa (if you are arriving from a country for which one is required). We remind all travellers you must carry proof of citizenship such as a birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification.

For more information, consult Visitors to Canada and Other Temporary Residents.

Travelling with minors

Border services officers watch for missing children, and may ask detailed questions about any minors travelling with you.

We recommend that parents who share custody of their children carry copies of their legal custody documents, such as custody rights. If you share custody and the other parent is not travelling with you, or if you are not the parent or legal guardian, we recommend you carry a consent letter to provide authorization for you to take them on a trip and enter Canada.

A consent letter must include the custodial parents’ or legal guardians’ full name, address and telephone number. Some travellers chose to have the consent letter notarized to further support its authenticity, especially if they are undertaking a significant trip and want to avoid any delay.

When travelling with a group of vehicles, parents or guardians should arrive at the border in the same vehicle as their children or any minors they are accompanying.

What you can bring with you

As a visitor, you can bring certain goods into Canada for your own use as “personal baggage”. Personal baggage includes clothing, camping and sports equipment, cameras and personal computers. This also includes your mode of transportation, including vehicles, private boats and aircraft.

You must declare all goods when you arrive at the first CBSA port of entry. Our border services officers conduct examinations of goods being imported or exported to verify declarations. If you declare goods when you arrive and take them back with you when you leave, you will not have to pay any duty or taxes. These goods cannot be:

  • used by a resident of Canada;
  • used on behalf of a business based in Canada;
  • given as a gift to a Canadian resident; or
  • disposed of or left behind in Canada.

The border services officer may ask you to leave a security deposit for your goods, which will be refunded to you when you export the goods from Canada. Should this occur, you will be issued a Temporary Admission Permit. We will retain a copy and give you one for your records. When you leave Canada, present your goods and your copy of the Temporary Admission Permit, to the border services officer, who will give you a receipt and your security deposit will be refunded by mail.

For more information on what you can bring with you to Canada, consult Visitors to Canada and other Temporary Residents.

Making your Declaration

Presenting yourself to the CBSA

All travellers arriving in Canada are obligated by Canadian law to present themselves to a border services officer, respond truthfully to all questions and accurately report their goods. This includes a requirement to report any food, plant and animal products in their possession.

We remind travellers to have all identification and travel documentation ready. Being prepared to make a full and accurate declaration, including the amount of goods in Canadian dollars you are bringing with you, will help us get you on your way as quickly as possible.

Arriving by air: If arriving by air, you will receive a CBSA Declaration Card while you are on board and must complete it prior to arrival. Whether you’re returning to Canada or visiting, you’ll follow the same straightforward process to enter Canada when arriving by air. For a step-by-step guide, consult Arriving by Air or check out our video onYouTube.

Arriving by land: If arriving by land, follow the signs to the first check point — referred to as Primary Inspection – where a border services officer will examine your identification and other travel documents, and take your verbal declaration.

Arriving by private boat: If arriving by private boat, proceed directly to a designated marine telephone reporting site and call the Telephone Reporting Center (TRC) at 1-888-226-7277 in order to obtain CBSA clearance. Certain private boaters may now present themselves to the CBSA by calling the TRC from their cellular telephones from the location at which they enter Canadian waters. For more information, consult our fact sheet.

For more information to help you make your declaration, consult Visitors to Canada and Other Temporary Residents.

CBSA Declaration Card

The CBSA Declaration Card tells us what we need to know about you, your travels and what you’re bringing into the country. CBSA Declaration Cards are distributed to passengers arriving by air, and are also used at some locations for travellers arriving by train, boat or bus. Bringing a pen in your carry-on baggage will help you complete it, as required, prior to arrival.

Instructions on how to complete the card are attached for your assistance. You can list up to four people living at the same residence on one card. Once the card is completed, detach and discard the instructions. Please do not fold the card, as this allows us to serve you more quickly.

Be sure to keep the card handy along with your identification and other travel documents. You will be asked to show this card to our border services officers several times.

If you have any questions about the card or Canadian regulations, please ask the border services officer when you arrive.

Referrals for secondary services and inspections

At any point during your interactions with our border services officers at a port of entry, you may be referred to our secondary services and inspections area.

We understand that travellers may feel anxious when crossing the border and want you to know that secondary referrals should not be viewed as an indication of wrongdoing. They are a normal part of the cross-border travel process, which any returning resident or visitor to Canada may experience.

Why you may be referred

You may be referred for a variety of reasons including, but not limited to:

  • verifying your declaration and/or documentation;
  • answering more in-depth questions about yourself or presenting your goods for inspection;
  • determining your admissibility to Canada or the admissibility of goods in your possession;
  • paying duty and taxes;
  • undergoing a random inspection;
  • reporting currency or monetary instruments equal to or greater than CAN$10,000, when entering or exiting Canada;
  • completing or processing paperwork to support your entry or the entry of your goods to Canada.

For information on what to expect, what we ask of you and guidance on how you can provide client service feedback, consult What to Expect: Secondary Services and Inspections.

Travelling with alcohol and tobacco

Alcoholic beverages

Alcoholic beverages are products that exceed 0.5% alcohol by volume.

You must be of legal age in the province of importation. While you are permitted to import alcoholic beverages in excess of those listed above, we remind all travellers that they will be responsible for paying duty and taxes on the additional alcoholic beverages they are importing.

For more information on bringing alcoholic beverages to Canada, consult Visitors to Canada and Other Temporary Residents.

Tobacco products

As a visitor or a temporary resident, you may import, free of duty and taxes

For a visit of short duration, these quantities may be limited to amounts that are appropriate in respect of the nature, purpose, and duration of the visit.

For more information on bringing tobacco to Canada, consult Visitors to Canada and Other Temporary Residents.

Restricted/prohibited goods

The importation of certain goods is restricted or prohibited in Canada. To avoid the possibility of penalties, including seizure or prosecution, make sure you have the information you require before attempting to import items into Canada.

The following are some examples of restricted or prohibited goods:

Firearms and weapons: You must declare all weapons and firearms at the CBSA port of entry when you enter Canada.

Food, plants, animals and related products: All food, plants, animals, and related products must be declared. Food can carry disease, such as E. coli. Plants and plant products can carry invasive alien species, such as the Asian Long-Horned Beetle. Animals and animal products can carry diseases, such as avian influenza and foot-and-mouth.

Explosives, fireworks and ammunition: You are required to have written authorization and permits to bring explosives, fireworks and certain types of ammunition into Canada.

Vehicles: Vehicles include any kind of pleasure vehicles such as passenger cars, pickup trucks, snowmobiles and motor homes, as long as you use them for non-commercial purposes. There are many requirements that apply to the importation of vehicles.

Consumer products: The importation of certain consumer products that could pose a danger to the public (e.g., baby walkers, jequirity beans that are often found in art or bead work) is prohibited. Canadian residents should be aware of consumer products that have safety requirements in Canada. Many of these safety requirements are stricter than requirements of other countries.

For more information on restricted/prohibited goods, consult Visitors to Canada and Other Temporary Residents or our publications specific to Importing a Firearm or Weapon Into Canada and Importing a Vehicle Into Canada.

Travelling with CAN$10,000 or more

If you have currency or monetary instruments equal to or greater than CAN$10,000 (or the equivalent in a foreign currency) in your possession when arriving in or departing from Canada, you must report this to the CBSA. Monetary instruments include items such as stocks, bonds, bank drafts, cheques, and travellers’ cheques.

We remind all travellers that this regulation applies to currency and monetary instruments you have on your person, in your baggage and in your vehicle.

Upon your arrival in Canada with CAN$10,000 or more in your possession, it must be reported on the CBSA Declaration Card (if one was provided to you), or in the verbal declaration made to a border services officer.

When departing Canada by air with CAN$10,000 or more in your possession, you must report to the CBSA office within the airport, prior to clearing security or, if departing by land or boat, report your intent to export to the CBSA at one of our offices.

For more information, including instructions on how to report your intent to import or export currency in person, by mail, or by courier, consult Crossing the border with $10,000 or more?

Travelling with gifts

While you are outside Canada, you can send gifts free of duty and taxes to friends in Canada under certain conditions. To qualify, each gift must not be worth more than CAN$60 and cannot be a tobacco product, an alcoholic beverage or advertising matter. If the gift is worth more than CAN$60, the recipient will have to pay regular duty and taxes on the excess amount. It is always a good idea to include a greeting card to avoid any misunderstanding.

If you are travelling with gifts, do not wrap them prior to crossing the border. If you do, we remind you that a border services officer may need to unwrap the gift to conduct an examination of the goods you are bringing into Canada.

Study and Work in Canada

Get a student work permit

It is possible to work in Canada, while you are here as a student, under any Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s (CIC’s) work programs for students. In most cases, you will need to apply for a student work permit.

Work on campus
Find information about working at the school where you study.

Work off campus
Find information about working off campus while you study in Canada.

Work as a co-op or intern
Discover how you can work as a co-op or intern as part of your academic program.

Stay in Canada after graduation
Learn how you can stay in Canada as a permanent resident or find work after you graduate from school.

Help your spouse or common-law partner find work
Find information about how your spouse or common-law partner can apply to work while you study in Canada.

Study in Canada

To be eligible to study in Canada

You must have been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada.
You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
tuition fees
living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.

Canadian Study Permit

Get a study permit

To study in Canada, you may need a study permit and/or a visitor visa.

Prepare to study
Find out what you need before you apply for a study permit in Canada.

Determine your eligibility
Find out if you or your child can study in Canada.

Apply for a study permit
Discover how to apply, where to get application forms and guides, and what documents to provide with your application.

Check processing times
Processing times vary depending on the Canadian visa office where you submitted your application.

After you apply: get next steps
Find out what you should do after you apply for a study permit.

Prepare for arrival
Be prepared and know what to expect when you arrive in Canada.

Internships: Where knowledge meets know-how

Internships: Where knowledge meets know-how

Internships are a great way for your business to benefit from the knowledge and enthusiasm of a recent graduate while providing valuable on-the-job experience for young job seekers in your community. Hiring an intern can help your business to:

Develop a successful e-business presence and bring new technological skills and knowledge to your company
Undertake a cutting-edge research project
Grow or enhance a specific aspect of your business
Mentor a new graduate
An intern is a special kind of employee. Their length of employment is determined beforehand and limited, usually to a few months or less than a year. Often, the intern is a recent graduate who may be joining your team with plenty of education, but lacking some of the ‘hands-on’ training that can only come from working in the field.

There may also be government support for your business internship. Programs such as the Small Business Internship Program (link no longer active) can help you with up to 75% of eligible wages (to a maximum of $10 000).

Remember that an intern has the same rights and responsibilities as any other employee. You will have to register your intern with Workplace Safety and Insurance Board and your business will have the same responsibility and liability towards your intern that you have toward your other long-term employees.

Whether it’s for help with a specific project, enhancing your e-business presence, or growing your business in new directions, an intern may be the perfect fit for your small or medium-sized business. Consider putting the potential and enthusiasm of a recent graduate to work for you.

Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program

Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program

Do you operate a business with an established production capability, plant or place of business in Alberta? If so, you could get help recruiting immigrants who would like to live and work permanently in your province.

The program can help your business fill skilled labour shortages in your workforce. You will have to submit a business case demonstrating your business’ need for the skilled or semi-skilled worker. Your business case will also need to demonstrate your inability to fill the position with a qualified Canadian citizen or permanent resident. If you already employ temporary foreign workers, the program can help you keep them for a permanent position.

New Brunswick Provincial Nominee Program — Business applicants

New Brunswick Provincial Nominee Program — Business applicants

You might be able to speed up your immigration application if you plan to start or buy a business in New Brunswick. To be considered, you must:

Be between the ages of 22 and 55
Know enough English and/or French to actively manage a business
Have a business plan that will be approved by the Government of New Brunswick
Have enough money to start the business and support your family for up to two years without outside help.
Other conditions apply.

Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program — Entrepreneurs

Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program — Entrepreneurs

If you would like to move to Saskatchewan to operate a business find out how you can immigrate as an entrepreneur.

To be considered for nomination by the province of Saskatchewan, you must:

Be able to verify your net worth is more than $300,000, and was attained by legal means
Have at least 3 years of business ownership or management experience
Prove that you intend to reside and invest in Saskatchewan
Other conditions apply.